Wallingford Hall and barns were built in 1804 by housewright/architect Thomas Eaton for George and Abigail Wallingford. George Wallingford was the son of Samuel Wallingford, the very first United States Marine. George, a lawyer by profession, was one of the founder of the town of Kennebunk, Maine. In 1820, he was elected the first moderator for the town, was on the committee for Maine statehood, and was instrumental in Maine becoming a state.
George served as paymaster to the Maine soldiers headed to the War of 1812, and in 1817 he chaired the committee that welcomed President James Monroe to Kennebunk. The home remained in the family until 1933.
The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.