George Wallingford, First Moderator, 1820,
from the Kennebunk Centennial Celebration
Official Program, 1920.
Brick Store Museum Collection.
Elizabeth Abigail Wallingford (1806-1829)
by John Brewster, Jr. (1766-1854), 1808,
oil on canvas, 30 1/4" x 25". Brick Store
Museum Collection, 1935.000.215.
Hall and barns were built in 1804 by housewright/architect Thomas
Eaton for George and Abigail Wallingford. George Wallingford was the
son of Samuel Wallingford, the very first United States Marine.
George, a lawyer by profession, was one of the founding fathers of the
town of Kennebunk, Maine. In 1820, he was elected the first moderator
for the town, was on the committee for Maine statehood, and was
instrumental in Maine becoming a state.
George served as paymaster to the Maine soldiers headed to the War of 1812, and in 1817 he chaired the committee that welcomed President James Monroe to Kennebunk. The home remained in the family until 1933.
On April 28th, 2004, on Wallingford Hall's 200th anniversary, The
United States Congress placed the buildings and farm on the National
Register of Historic Places. The historic restoration of the property
is now in progress.
If you have any questions about the history or restoration of Wallingford Farm, contact Charles.